Those Awkward Moments …
How many times have you been in a situation where you thought, “Wow, this is a little awkward”?
It’s probably safe to say we’ve all been there – you know, those weird and uncomfortable moments with a perfect stranger where you don’t know what to say or how to act. Awkward silences are the worst!
This week, I experienced an awkwardly silent moment in the steam room of Downtown 24 Hour Fitness. As I was sharing the steam room with a fellow gym-goer, I couldn’t help but think to myself how awkward it was to sit in complete silence with someone I don’t know, while in nothing more than my TYR swimsuit. Listening to Mr. Mouth-Breather inhale and exhale the scent of eucalyptus combined with sweat prompted me to come up with a list of situations where silence can be deafening.
Top Awkward Situations:
1. Being in an elevator. You enter the elevator and give the other person a courtesy half smile. You then proceed to either look down at the ground or up at the floor numbers until someone finally exits.
2. Standing in the restroom line. I’m specifically referring to those instances where you’re waiting in line with one other person for a single-stall restroom. As if the silence was bad enough, you’re both standing in front of the mirror avoiding eye contact with each other by looking down at the floor tile or fixing your hair.
3. Sharing a chair lift. You hop onto a chair with a stranger, and you soon realize the other person took “your side” of the chair. This is the side you feel most comfortable pushing off from without doing a face plant in front of the chair lift operators. It’s awkwardly silent all the way up, so you pretend to kick the snow off your ski/snowboard or look down at everyone else shredding the mountain.
4. The steam room at the gym. You walk into a steamy room and for a split second you have to decide if you’re sitting on the tile bench everyone else has been sitting on, or if you’re going to stand in the corner. Once you’ve positioned yourself, the only thing you can really do in this situation is pretend to look at your watch every so often or just close your eyes.
5. Passing the same person down every aisle at Costco. This happens more often than not since most shoppers at Costco want to stroll down every single aisle post-freezer section until they hit the cash register. You run into the same person in every aisle and after the second time of doing so, you start picking up the pace in order to beat them to the next aisle.
6. Walking through crosswalks. Cars are lined up at the stoplight, and you know everyone is staring at you. You’re basically center stage, and there’s not much you can do but to walk briskly to the other side of the street.
Awkward situations happen all the time, but it’s such a short amount of time out of our daily lives that it’s not really worth stressing over. If you ever find yourself in similar situations, just find humor in them. Better yet, pretend you’re Peter from The Family Guy and say in a high-pitched voice, “Awkward!”
What are some awkward situations you’ve been in?
Short URL: http://sacmidtown.com/?p=1985